Sunday, June 26, 2011

Listen to what mom says..

I'm a visual person.  If I see it I can make it, understand what's wrong, duplicate it, whatever.  I'm not, however, an audio person.  Read me a story, tell me a joke or give directions and after about 30 seconds I've forgotten the beginning.  Might be an attention span thing, but nonetheless... I just can't recall the whole of it. :)

My mom has a tendency to verbally provide recipes.  When we're talking about food, or what we did over the past week, she'll verbally recall the entire recipe for some dish she's made that she believes my DH or myself will love.  Though I appreciate her enthusiasm, it always appears to be when I'm not in a position to write it down.  So, of course, rarely do I remember any of the details of these "must have" recipes.

But one snippet of these many recipes stuck.

Mom likes to grill vegetables this time of year.  About anything you can imagine, she'll grill.  What's interesting is the way she "finishes off the dish."  Fresh diced tomatoes and a bit of basil.  What a difference it makes to what can sometimes be boring grilled veggies!  It adds a freshness and lightness to the dish.  Something I would totally recommend next time you serve grilled veggies. 

My version the other evening... Purple and white potatoes, onions, and fairy tale eggplant from the garden. topped with cherry tomatoes and fresh basil.
Enjoy and make sure to listen to what mom says...

No comments:

Post a Comment