Thursday, September 22, 2011

Finally.. Fall Gardening Season

Well, it's been a long, HOT summer...  70 days over 100F HOT...  Like, we beat multiple records in the state of Texas HOT...And my garden has suffered some because of it.  Though, there has been some bright spots.

My basil has gone crazy and I'm handing it out left and right.

As well the sage has done much better than I anticipated. 

Not only that, but some of the butternut squash not only survived the spring production and the summer but is producing again.

In addition, during all that insane heat, we began planting for the Fall and hoping that some day we would see "lows" below 86F and that everything would begin to perk up again!
 And it has...

One of the gardens is almost overrun with jalapenos, Hatch chili, eggplant, and other various pepper plants.  All which survived the brutality of summer.  (Can you tell summer was really miserable?)

The potted plants, because I could provide them some shade, also did well.
In addition, we planted a lot of new produce for the fall potential.


 Corn!  My first try at this and so far I'm surprised at how quickly they've grown.  These were seeds merely a month ago.


Ohh.  and more butternut squash as well as some pumpkins and gourds!
And, soon, I will hopefully be able to show the collard greens, carrots, radishes, and tomatoes as they begin to grow/produce.  So hopefully I'll have more to tell soon.


Ohh, had to add these.  Not really liking them as edible eggplant, but thought they were really pretty!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! This is the first story I've seen from Texas in 2011 that doesn't sound all "drought of Biblical proportions." Clearly, you managed some things very well considering how nasty the heat was. I'm glad you'll have produce for your table... and thank you for participating in Post Produce this month. I hope we'll see you again in October!

    ReplyDelete
  2. make pesto with your basil and freeze it!!

    ReplyDelete