Monday, November 16, 2009

Pomegrante Trials..

On Sunday, I decided to tackle the pomegranates that had been yelling at me in the frig for the last week. I mean what do you do with 4 pomegranates? First off, it took forever to separate all of the seeds and then go through and make sure the less then ideal ones were trashed. I ended up with like 6 cups of seeds. I like pomegranates, but not that much. And of course, any recipe i found used like 1/4 c or a sprinkle. How an i suppose to effective with that? It will take more time then these little seeds have to use them all up. So I thought... cranberries were good in cookies, what about pomegranate seeds?
My first idea was a test... Small batch of cocoa flavored dough with semi-sweet chocolate chip and a replacement of pine nuts with pomegranate seeds. Amazing enough, they turned out really good. I did decide that the base recipe I didn't really like (never have, and I've tried in with several variations... Kudos to Giada most of the time, but not this one)..
So second try, I used the background for the traditional Nestle cookie recipe and made some modifications.... shortening for butter (with a drop of butter flavor), an even mix of milk and semi-sweet chocolate to counteract the tart of the pomegranate, and about 3/4 c of seeds. Mix and go...
These cookies were REALLY good. I could eat a handful so of course, to minimize that I packed them up and brought them to work. Now, mind you, I still have almost 3 cups of seeds left and looking for some ideas....
Filled the cookie jar this morning with both options, but unfortunately I forgot my food science when making the cookies.. Al the great crispness I liked the night before is gone and replace with soft, easily breakable cookies (will need to fix for next time).
That being said they were a BIG hit.. both kinds, surprise to me.. I will have to add it to my holiday repertoire.
Good Monday...
Oh, and the rest of the seeds have been relegated to making pomegranate liquor.. I will chat about that another time...

Double Chocolate Pomegrante Cookie Recipe
Traditional Nestle Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe with the following modifications:
-Replace butter with shortening
-Replace half of semi-sweet chips with milk chocolate (you could also do a 1/3 each of milk, semi-sweet and white)
-Add 3/4 c of pomegrante seeds

No comments:

Post a Comment