Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving Dinner

It's interestng to me that no matter where I have Thanksgiving dinner, it ends up being the same food.  You read in food magazines or online about unique ways to make stuffing (oyster stuffing, creole stuffing) or potatoes (horseradish cheddar mashed potatoes or whatever), but in the end everyone always ends up back at the basics....
Roasted, Smoked or Fried Turkey, no extra seasonings or herbs please.. 
Mashed Potatoes, just butter and milk
Turkey Gravy, started from a gravy mix
Stuffing (Cornbread or Traditional)
and a couple of vegetables...
I think the only place where creativity might play out is in those vegetables.  For years, that was where our family tried to add some interest or excitement to Thanksgiving, but inevidably you find a vegetable or two some likes and that's what they want every year.  What a crazy thing it would be to NOT make turkey one year?  I don't think I've ever been to a Thanksgiving dinner without turkey.  Of course, I know with my family, it was less about the dinner and more about the leftovers, thus the reason for the basics.  You could spicy them up later in a sandwich or soup or whatever, but if you started off with creole stuffing, you were eating creole for days to come. 
So this year for Thanksgiving, we went to my in-laws house and had the ususal fare: turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, corn, salad and blueberry muffins.  Blueberry muffins??? Yes, that's right. 
Growing up, blueberry muffins were a breakfast treat my mom made on a rare occasion.  Ususally they were made from flour, sugar, baking soda, and real blueberries.. not a mix.  Because of this they were really great hot and fresh, but the next day they were more like hockey pucks.  But they were ALWAYS a breakfast food. 
When I first met the man that was to be my husband we spent a holiday together with his family (I don't remember if it was Easter or Thanksgiving or what) and they asked what I liked to eat.  Now, for those that know me, this is not a good question to ask.  I 'm a very picky eater who also happens to not eat meat so I can make people who are cooking very nervous. 
My husband (boyfriend at the time) told his family I didn't eat meat... So, not knowing much about me they made about 20 side dishes to ensure I had "something to eat."  One of these was blueberry muffins (box kind).  My thought.. they didn't know what I liked so they cooked everything in the kitchen.  But, as the years passed and I continued to show up for holiday events, I realized this was a dinner staple.  I've nevered asked why blueberry? but I think it's really interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment