Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Using Cranberries

My mom loves cranberries. I remember as a kid eating cranberry relish every Thanksgiving and Christmas. And she always made it tart, I mean mouth puckering TART. I like cranberries as part of something , but not really as the sole flavor of a food. But, this past weekend I came in to some cranberries, well, alot of cranberries and I wnated to find way to use them in more than just a relish. So, of course I made the traditional cranberry orange bread and of course, I froze it for that occasion that will come up where I will need to bring food somewhere. But, I wondered what else could I make with cranberries?
Well, I love the juxtaposition of flavors: salty/sweet, sweet/tart, bitter/salty. So I decided to try a version of cookies I've made in the past, but this time with cranberries.
Check out my Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cranberry Walnut Cookie Recipe (below). I think they turned out great.
And of course, as I mentioned in my last post, I'm loving the canning and prserivng so I made some cranberry conserve. What is cranberry conserve you ask? Great Question...It's kind of a mix between presrves and jelly with lots of fruits and potentilaly nuts (though my rescipe didn't have any).
Now of course the question is, what to do with teh four pomegrantes in the frig?


Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cranberry Walnut Cookie Recipe
1 c flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2c + 2 Tbsp shortening
1/2 c sugar
1/4c dark brown sugar
1/4 c brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c oats
3/4c semi-sweet chococlate chips
1/2 c walnuts
1/2 c rounghly chopped cranberries (fresh or frozen)

Mix like you would any type of cookie.
Bake 350F for 16 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment